With its Tuono V4 1100 RR, Aprilia has one of the most formidable roadsters in production. In pure power, only the KTM 1290 Superduke R stands up to it. Enough to tear your arms, the road, lap times and sensations. Like many other machines, the Tuono had to cross the Euro4 standard and there is something for everyone..
Let’s see what Aprilia has cooked in the pot V4. Side polluting emissions, a new exhaust with double oxygen sensor allows to respect the quotas. The Tuono gains a new computer, more powerful and allowing a maximum speed increased by 500 rpm. The combustion chambers are revised and the box gains a new sensor. The new ride-by-wire control that takes care of it is simplified compared to the old generation, allowing a gain of 590 grams. General relief, the watts could be fully preserved; the torque even picks up 1 Nm.
Apart from its larger displacement, the V4 does not mark any difference compared to that of the sports car. He can therefore shamelessly prick his electronics. And he does.
First of all, acquire the Bosch multi-axis inertial unit in order to better perceive dynamic reactions. Then, update the 3 injection maps (Sport, Track, Race). Finally, have the APRC pack transplant, consisting of:
– New ATC: traction control, adjustable in 8 positions, refined and more efficient.
– New AWC: the in-house anti-wheeling, adjustable on 3 levels, now much more precise thanks to the IMU.
– New ALC: the Aprilia Launch Control, or the standing start assistant. Adjustable on 3 levels and even more efficient.
– New AQS: the shifter, called Aprilia Quick Shift, which now allows upshifting and downshifting without touching the clutch.
– New APL: the Aprilia Pit Limiter, to select and limit the maximum speed allowed in the pit lane; or incidentally to comply with the speed limits posted on the road.
– New ACC: cruise control. The new electronic management allows to maintain a chosen speed without worrying about the throttle.
– Completing the pack, braking now uses Cornering ABS technology, or anti-lock braking active in bends. It works in concert with the rear wheel anti-lift (RLM) to ensure stability and efficiency during deceleration. Can be configured on 3 levels and can be switched off.
A whole series of co-pilots, some of whom are far from being superfluous when it comes to exploiting the 175 horsepower spewed by the Italian block. And no less than 12.3 mkg of torque awaits you at 9000 rpm. Optimism only if the technical background follows.
The transfusion doesn’t stop there. The Tuono also uses the ultra-modern TFT screen dashboard. Colorful sport without frills, with a wealth of information, it is a real little tablet. Two display modes are available, road or track. As an option, we can add to all this the V4-MP platform. A multimedia set that allows you to connect the motorcycle to your smartphone, to retrieve telemetry data, and to intervene on the settings. This function provides real-time suggestions and advice to achieve the best track everything. Thanks to Aprilia simulation technology, it is possible to set the ideal lap settings for each circuit, according to the different levels of grip and performance of the rider. The application analyzes the behavior of the pilot in real time and provides him with assistance by indicating for example the need to brake or the possibility of accelerating.
Because the Tuono V4 1100 R can do much more than show on the track. Let’s not forget that today’s big roadsters have the power of yesterday’s hypersports. In terms of efficiency, the Aprilia wants to further raise the level by improving its braking. The brake discs grow to 330mm (+10mm) and are now clamped by Brembo M50 calipers. Nice stuff controlled by a new radial master cylinder.
The chassis still uses an aluminum perimeter frame, as on the RSV4-RR, with Sachs suspensions. Namely an inverted fork of 43 mm and a mono-shock absorber, also stung to the sportswoman. Look no further … the Tuono is an undressed sportswoman that only makes a few horsepower and a different handlebar profile compared to Noale’s Superbike.
Confirmed pilots and / or fans of high-end damping will be tempted by the Factory version, with elements Öhlins.
Optimized, the Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR is the master of sports roadsters. You have to have a strong heart to push your big 4-cylinder V to the limit. Fortunately, both the chassis and the electronics have improved even further. A machine with a strong temperament, of which it will be difficult to find the limits. But what a temptation !
What you must remember
Calculate the cost of
Test the price of the motorcycle insurance specialist
sure 9 notice
TUONO V4 1100 RR 2016
Model marketed in
250 km / h
The technical aspect
Aprilia TUONO V4 1100 RR 2017
- Tank: 18.5 liters
- Train before
- secondary by chain
- Rear axle
(81 x 52.3 mm)
at 11,000 rpm
at 9000 rpm