Where there is GS, there is adventure not far; I mean ADVENTURE. The globetrotting version of the most famous of trails is getting serious muscle for 2014. After the liquid revolution of the R 1200 GS in 2013, BMW did not wait long to decline the now traditional version for long roads, African tracks and campsites off the Rockies.
To say the least, the R 1200 GS Adventure "liquid cooled" do not miss‘aplomb. She asserts her personality much more than before. No more Howard Carter’s stature, room for the daring of Benjamin Gates. We will salute the particularly ambiguous work of the designers: whatever the generation, the GS Adventure instantly makes you want to take the loose. For a bit, we could almost see the sand crumble between the spokes of the rims.
One of the strengths of this machine is that plumage relates to ramage. This bike wants to go from desert to pebbles and brings a lot of differences to go towards more adventures than the standard GS. The suspensions gain an additional 20 mm of travel (210 at the front and 220 at the rear) and the aluminum tank inflates by 10 liters to carry 30 units in total. With its protection bars covering the cylinder heads and the high surroundings, the GS is preparing to withstand bowls and loss of balance. Before that, you can calmly cut the road, protected by the new screen, the hand guards and the generous sidewalls. And fissa, because being cousin of the R 1200 GS with float, she recovers the Boxer full of fishing and upheavals – almost enough to transform you the Atlas into Pikes Peak.
Let’s do a quick refresher on this flat twin, the first from BMW to feature water cooling. The most notable (r) evolutions are the use of liquid cooling to thermo-calm where it heats the most (especially the cylinder heads), the admission of the gas flow now vertical, the 6-speed gearbox integrated into the engine crankcase, an oil clutch with anti-dribble, and a nice series of watts in addition. Particularity of this engine on the Adventure, the mass of the flywheel of the vilo weighs 950 gr more. A "ointment" to improve the smoothness of the Bavarian block.
The GS Adventure now develops 125 horsepower at 7750 rpm and 12.7 mkg at 6500 rpm. Since the previous generation, this adventurer has been slammed with 15 nags and half a mkg. And what about the gap between the first of the name, R 1150, and our charismatic machine here: 85 donkeys and not even 10 mkg for the ancestor, released in 2002.
With the set of sensors, software and technology that come between you and the machine, the 1200 Adventure thinks with you or even before you in the multiple driving conditions that it will have to meet. As standard, the motorcycle is equipped with ASC traction control and 2 steering modes: the "Rain" with smooth acceleration, adapted ABS and preventive traction control; and the "road", where all driving aids are optimally configured.
When the machine is fitted with semi-active ESA Dynamic damping, the work of the suspensions is based on the chosen driving mode. An option that significantly increases the bill (around 750 euros) but offers you suspense with small onions, able to read the road and adapt to it.
Are you more demanding?!? Never mind. BMW offers 3 other electronic co-pilots with the opion "Pro riding modes"activated by an encoder card. The Adventure is enriched by the modes "Dynamic", "Enduro" and "Enduro Pro". The content of each mode is detailed at the bottom of this sheet.
Because I wanted to come back to the adventurous side of this R 1200 GS Adventure, certainly determined to distinguish itself as it is and no longer as a variant of the GS. To do so, in addition to the aforementioned equipment, it highlights a more wandering face and sides, a more robust beak, small deflectors to support the efficiency of the windshield, a saddle adjustable in inclination and on 2 heights ( 890 and 910 mm) – high on legs the beast: equivalent and more to a KTM 1190 Adventure R. Compared to the GS also differ the enduro type footrests, wider, the intake air tubes redesigned and equipped with a protective grid, the crutches adapted to the greater travel, adjustable and reinforced foot controls, and we specify the grafting of a vibration damper between the gearbox output and the cardan shaft to ease the reactivity in the technical and / or trialising passages.
As with the R 1200 GS, we will not be talking about evolution but about a new generation of Adventure, whose leitmotif remains: to take you as far as possible. Already ready to lead you to the gates of the desert, it will nevertheless be necessary to pass on the side of the options to have enough to penetrate in the harsh countries. A little luggage, a piece of GPS, a cruise control, heated grips, an update to adapt the mapping to regular gasoline…. and why not have fun with the full LED headlight unit supplemented with daytime running lights, an Akra pot, tire pressure control, etc … Yes, well, the percentage of debt is going to jump monstrously. But in this category, the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure is the bike of choice.
The 5 possible driving modes on the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure:
– "Rain" provides smooth metering and response to engine acceleration to support the rider. The ABS law is adapted to the road and ASC traction control responds earlier than in "Road". When the motorcycle is fitted with the dynamic ESA option, the damping of the front and rear spring / shock absorbers is rather flexible and thus conforms to the prevailing conditions..
– "Road" : the engine responds spontaneously and the steering aids are tuned to achieve optimum performance on all roads. ABS is suitable for the road and ASC ensures optimal traction. If the bike is equipped with dynamic ESA, the front and rear spring / shock absorbers are in the normal damping position.
– "Dynamic" reveals the sporty side on the road. The engine is tuned for direct throttle response, and the discreet ASC intervention allows experienced riders to indulge in slight, controlled skids. The ABS remains on the road taring. Damping is firm if the motorcycle is equipped with the dynamic ESA option.
– "Enduro" allows you to discover the R 1200 GS Adventure off-road. In this mode, the engine response to acceleration is smooth and ASC intervention discrete, allowing the experienced rider to deliberately initiate controlled rear wheel skidding. The ABS law is optimally suited to unstable terrain and road tires. Dynamic ESA provides flexible damping that matches the way the bike is used.
– "Enduro Pro" is aimed at ambitious enduro riders and unlocks the full potential of the R 1200 GS Adventure on the terrain. This riding mode, which is characterized by spontaneous engine response, is designed for operation with studded tires. when the brake pedal is pressed, the ABS function is deactivated at the rear, while the optional dynamic ESA switches to firm calibration.
M.B – Manufacturer pictures
What you must remember
Calculate the cost of
Test the price of the motorcycle insurance specialist
sure 37 notice
R 1200 GS ADVENTURE 2013
Model marketed in
0 to 100: 3.70 s
medium: 5.90 l
200 km / h
The technical aspect
2014 BMW R 1200 GS ADVENTURE
- Tank: 30 liters
- Width: 950 mm
- Wheelbase: 1,510 mm
- Operating weight: 260 kg
- Train before
- Secondary cardan drive
- Rear axle
(101 x 73 mm)
at 7,750 rpm
at 6500 rpm