The Multistrada is above all a Ducati. It means sporty DNA, no matter what shape the bike takes. This turbulent Italian in the trail segment is far from meeting the original canons of the genre: light size, practical all-road and measured power. With the MST, it’s maxi-trail with a big heart in the bowels. The concept is popular but meets a pitfall. No way to go below 158 horsepower and have a more accessible machine. Up to this version 950.
Do you like the fat one? You’ll love the little one. Like the Monster and Panigale, mimicry is the order of the day. Both in shape and technical aspects, the 950 Multistrada is a very faithful reproduction of the 1200. Every line, every curve, every nook draws its course. However, once crossed the descent towards the saddle, some details come to cross the course of the differences. The painted plastic covering does not continue under the seat, the pot is different, the single-sided arm has disappeared. Arg !!! And yes, we would like it to be on every Ducat ‘. But the house policy reserves it for the best versions of each family. Snooping around a bit more, we can see new rims, a paint-less beak, a simplified left stalk, a saddle perched at 840 mm not adjustable in height, and it will be necessary to ignore the LED headlights. Thus, the 1260 Multistrada retains premium attributes that the 950 cannot, should not boast of..
And for the engine, would it be the 1260 dried up in displacement? Not exactly. The organ bank is provided, allowing several machines to steal from the cousins. The twin comes from the Hypermotard series, and it is also found on the SuperSport. If Ducati baptized it 950, its displacement makes it lie a bit. What is it? This 11 ° Testastretta combines 4 valves per cylinder, 53mm injection, 937cc of exact cubing, the eternal desmodromic distribution and enough power to go far, almost hard. 113 horsepower is more than enough to have fun. We are above the watts of a V-Strom or a Versys, and not so far from a Crosstourer or the GS reference. But without encroaching on the cavalry of the big MTS. The 950 develops a total of 113 cannons at 9,000 rpm as well as a maximum torque of 9.8 mkg at 7,750 rpm. What to lift without worry the 227 kilos of the trail – a weight in the lower range of the category.
The 950 is the smallest "Multibike" made by the brand. But small is a word to be used with caution: it is almost a 1000. And with a passion almost twice as high as the first "small" Multistrada, the 620 from 2005 to 2007. To hold studs and roads, it needs a quality chassis. We won’t be disappointed. The tubular steel trellis frame encloses the twin with tradition and rigidity. At the front, it’s a 48mm Kayaba inverted fork. At the rear, a Sachs shock absorber; both are fully adjustable, but we cannot offer the Skyhook semi-active suspension. Braking consists of two 320mm discs with Brembo monobloc calipers at the bow; the stern has a 265 mm disc with a double piston caliper. All under the control of an ABS with 3 intervention levels. What is surprising is that the front discs seem to take less in the wheel than on the 1200…. Normal, it is bigger. The 950 receives a 19-inch front wheel. Combined with the narrower rear tire (170), the machine should offer a bit more handling and an ounce of versatility..
The electronics advance as another tactical point of the 950 Multistrada. The Riding Modes are there to adjust a motorcycle to you "à la carte" by acting on the multiple assistance systems (ABS, traction control, ride-by-wire, anti-wheeling) according to 4 laws. Depending on the mood and / or the environment, the pilot will choose one of the modes in memory.
– Touring: offers 113 hp with progressive response. DTC is set to level 5 and ABS to level 3, maximizing both braking stability and preventing rear wheel lift.
– Sport: direct response to acceleration, lower setting for DTC (Level 4) and ABS (Level 2) without intervention on rear wheel lift.
– Urban: power reduced to 75 hp with progressive throttle response. The DTC is set to a higher intervention level (6) and the ABS setting is at level 3, which maximizes braking stability and prevents rear wheel lifting.
– Enduro: 75 horsepower also with a progressive response to acceleration. DTC is set to level 2 for off-road use and the ABS setting is minimal (level 1), disabling rear wheel lift prevention.
The same face, the same desires, the same provisions, but a more general public engine and a more accessible price. This Ducati 950 Multistrada could well be the most homogeneous and impactful of the line. With 5 kilos less, an engine more than sufficient and especially 4000 euros of difference with the 1260, the average "multi-road" Italian only asks to expand its clientele. Or quite simply bring those who only the price made think, those who do not care to have 160 nags available, those who want a Multistrada and ignore the premium, those….…. in short, it can make people.
M.B – Builder media
Rather than increasing the number of versions, Ducati offers several packs for its 950 Multistada, allowing everyone to enhance it according to their field of mission..
– Sport package: Includes an approved Termignoni exhaust in titanium and some sporty details in machined aluminum such as the frame caps and the cover for the brake fluid reservoir.
– Enduro Pack: This Ducati Performance accessory kit has been created to protect it even on impractical and rugged trails, as well as against debris and shocks, thanks to the water radiator grille, the engine protection plate and the solid protection in steel tubes. to this kit are added LED headlights for better night visibility and steel footrest pedals for optimal foot grip on off-road routes.
– Touring package: includes sturdy 56 l side cases to match a center stand.
– Urban Pack: The top case and the pocket bag will allow you to transport bulky objects and have smaller ones close at hand. The kit also includes a very useful little USB extension cable so you never run out of power.
What you must remember
Calculate the cost of
Test the price of the motorcycle insurance specialist
sure 5 notice
950 Multistrada 2017
Model marketed in
medium: 5.40 l
200 km / h
The technical aspect
Ducati 950 Multistrada 2018
- Tank: 20 liters
- Wheelbase: 1,594 mm
- Dry weight: 206 kg
- Operating weight: 229 kg
- Train before
- secondary by chain
- Rear axle
(94 x 67.5 mm)
at 9000 rpm
at 7,750 rpm