So there we are speechless! With this CB 1000 R, Honda has just given a hell of a slap in the face of the roadsters. The builder’s alarm clock has just sounded, and like Kawa’s a few years ago, it’s a visual uppercut. We were waiting for the replacement of the 900 Hornet – We discover a street-fighter worthy of a transformer.
Rather than evolving the 900 Hornet (which did not have a truly successful career), Honda preferred to create a new machine, a new representative of its high performance naked segment. To design it, the factory seems to have gone out of its "politically correct" by adopting a very flashy style, lines that are both taut and collected, a particularly aggressive design, the engine and the front axle of the 2007 CBR 1000 RR Fireblade, a magnificent rear rim mounted on a single-sided arm, a rear part reduced to a minimum union, shoulders sharpened to the sharp, a robot optical unit terminated by a cybernetic control eye … This CB 1000 R looks more like a preparation than a production machine. When I tell you Honda is waking up – and it’s not pretending.
Everything on the front. Both the general design and the driving position have been developed in this direction. Therefore, even when stationary, the machine gives off an impression of speed and power. In dynamics, with a center of gravity and a pilot closer to the steering column, this should translate into a sacred liveliness and a most dazzling curve placement. As on the recent 600 Hornet, the frame is a gravity-cast aluminum Monobackbone. Inside, the big 4-cylinder of the CBR is optimized for street-bike use; that is to say more availability, torque and gniak available at low and medium speeds. Honda claims 30% more power over the entire rev range than on the CBF 1000, lightning accelerations, and has made it a priority to offer maximum torque and availability in the heart of the CB 1000 R.
A big engine that moves means a chassis that holds up. Associated with the Monobackbone frame, we find an inverted HMAS fork of 43 mm in diameter adjustable from everywhere, a Monoshock rear suspension attached to the enormous and magnificent single-sided arm (it is the first Japanese roadster to be equipped with it), full braking. radial which can be optionally fitted with ABS and CBS. A street-fighter of this caliber with combined braking and assisted anti-lock, it’s not common…
The CB 1000 R will quickly attract all eyes. For the less sympathetic, there is an electronic HISS lock that keeps watch. For the curious who will approach the cockpit, they will still be entitled to surprises. Up to the dashboard, Honda tore itself apart. The instrumentation unit is all digital, with information scattered over 3 different dials. The central serves as a tachometer, with a multi-segment indicator similar to that of the VTR 1000 SP1.
Honda did not take gloves, went out of its hinges and reacted energetically to the competition by offering a beast whose design would almost make a Z 1000 pale. Associated with the famous and easy handling of the manufacturer, we would be in the presence of a future star that it wouldn’t surprise me. To MP, we take our hat off to you Mr Honda.
Summary of the characteristics of the CB 1000 R:
• Image combining urban sophistication and style unique to high-performance roadsters.
• Architecture “forward ”with a forward driving position and a short, compact rear.
• Parts and components associated with a high-tech image, complementing a drawing
sophisticated and modern ensemble.
• angular exhaust and placed at mid-height in order to lower the center of gravity and induce a more agile behavior while delivering a particular sound.
• New triangular multireflector front optic, integrated in a minimalist equipped headlight plate
a new diode position light.
• New 17-inch 4-spoke alloy wheels.
• Magnesium cylinder head cover and alternator housing to reduce weight.
• Compact and lightweight 998cc inline 4-cylinder³ with electronic fuel injection and cooling
liquid, derived from that of the CBR1000RR Fireblade 2007 but worked in such a way as to favor performance at
low and medium revs.
• Hydraulically actuated clutch can be released below 2,000 rpm without fear of engine stalling.
• Cast aluminum Mono-Backbone frame.
• Fully adjustable Ø 43 mm inverted fork.
• Aluminum Pro Arm single-sided swingarm, rigid, light and actuating an adjustable monoshock.
• Large Supersport type radial tires.
• Front braking system with double floating disc Ø 310 mm and radial calipers 4 pistons. Ø rear disc
256 mm with double piston caliper.
• Version with ABS anti-lock braking Combined with 3-piston calipers and latest generation anti-lock system for optimal braking performance in all circumstances.
Some options are available to customize your CB 1000 R ’08:
• A passenger seat cowl matching the colors of the trim.
• A saddle with Alcantara finish.
• An engine case decoration game.
• A fuel cap cover.
• A selection of carbon parts specially made for the CB1000R.
• A game of‘decoration elements.
• An alarm with motion detector, siren and back-up battery. Low power standby mode protects the battery from possible discharge.
What you must remember
Calculate the cost of
Test the price of the motorcycle insurance specialist
sure 50 notice
CBF 900 HORNET 2006
Model marketed in
about 240 km / h
The technical aspect
Honda CB 1000 R 2008
- Tank: 17 liters
- Width: 775 mm
- Height: 1,090 mm
- Wheelbase: 1,445 mm
- Operating weight: 217 kg
- Train before
- final by chain
- Rear axle
(76 x 55.1 mm)
at 10,000 rpm
at 8000 rpm