MOTOGP RACE – PHILLIP ISLAND
2017 MotoGP Australian GP report and standings
Marc Marquez takes another big step towards his 4th MotoGP title thanks to his magnificent victory at the 2017 Australian GP – his 6th this season – ahead of Rossi and Viñales. Johann Zarco, crowned rookie of the year at Phillip Island, finishes at the foot of the podium in this fiercely contested 15th race !
"An exceptional race", sums up Johann Zarco at the arrival of the 2017 Australian GP at Phillip Island, the scene as in 2015 of a sensational race in the dry despite the persistent threats of rain.. And the French beginner is not for nothing in this breathless spectacle, with to start his virile recovery following an average start.
Badly started because hampered by another driver, the n ° 5 literally elbowed to get back to the leading group, led in turn by Miller, Rossi and Viñales. Without complex, Johann did not hesitate to jostle Valentino Rossi and especially Marc Marquez, that the Tech3 rider failed to send into the background by infiltrating under his Honda following Viñales !
- Australian GP: Zarco in the lead
Zarco almost collects Marquez at the hairpin!
– MotoGP (@MotoGP)
"Every moment was exciting, including when I wanted to follow Viñales who passed Marquez, and I touched him," said Johann Zarco at the finish. "But Marc was smart and stepped aside to avoid us falling. I went to see him at the finish and he said ‘no problem’, we laughed because he made a tire mark on him. Rossi’s jumpsuit: it looks like we’ve all fallen! "
Tightrope gladiators launched at 300 km / h !
Because indeed, contacts then multiplied between Marquez, Rossi, Zarco, Iannone and Viñales. Miraculously, none of these touches and incessant overtaking caused a fall: a gladiatorial combat crossed with a demonstration of tightrope walking at 300 km / h! A crazy race, at the end of which all the pilots laugh like kids !
All except two: Maverick Viñales, 3rd behind Rossi, and Andrea Dovizioso … 13th after some difficult first laps and a braking error. For Viñales, this third place on a circuit that he loves – and that he had dominated during the February testing – means the end of his claims for the title: the gap of the Spanish on the leader Marquez passes to 50 points at two races from the end of the season (Malaysia and Valencia).
With his face closed, the new Yamaha prodigy struggles to cope with the situation: "Mack" was planning to give a show of speed to stay in the title race, and certainly not finish in the exhaust of his teammate Rossi after having scrapped with Zarco! In his head is undoubtedly again the impressive overtaking from the outside inflicted on him by the rookie Tech3 in the ultra-fast first corner. Memorable !
Zarco goes around the OUTSIDE of Viñales!
– MotoGP (@MotoGP)
"The bike was doing very well today," admits Maverick Viñales, who does not hide behind technical inferiority to excuse his performance. According to the young Spaniard, his strategy of saving his tires to try his luck at the end of the race simply did not work. At the same time, impossible to apply anything during a race like this !
Boldness, speed and strategy: the "Marc" Marquez
The only driver capable of gaining a little height this weekend is the big winner of the day: Marc Marquez, who took the lead at the right time before going full throttle to widen a gap and put himself in the shelter from the tumult of the second group. Boldness, speed and strategy: the winning combination of the five-time Grand Prix world champion.
"It was an incredible spectacle: I had a strong enough contact with Johann then with Valentino", laughs the n ° 93 whose shattered rear shell below says a lot about the violence of these contacts! "I was biding my time and pushed hard for four laps to escape".
Bearing the scars of
– MotoGP (@MotoGP)
Packed with thrilling actions, this second overseas GP was finally marked by the arrival in a pocket handkerchief between Rossi, Viñales and Zarco: the French, 3rd on the last lap, tried his luck on the Italian in the last bend, to finally get taxed at the suction for 16 tiny thousandths by the Spanish !
"In the end, I couldn’t find a way to pass Rossi under braking because he was too strong, he’s a leader at this level," confided the driver of Hervé Poncharal, named rookie of the year this Sunday. "And then I tried to go second in the last corner, but it didn’t and I ended up in 4th. But I’m happy, because I tried everything and it was a great race, during which I learned a lot of things".
Rossi on the podium with a barely consolidated leg !
The Frenchman was able to measure himself and win against the best, in particular the nine-time world champion who commands admiration at Phillip Island: Valentino Rossi is indeed back on the podium, less than two months after his double fracture of the right leg! Needless to say how the Italian was delighted to finish in front of his young and fast teammate, in full possession of his physical means, him !
"I’m very happy, today everyone was a little crazy and you had to be a little crazier than them to beat them", indicates Valentino Rossi, below showing off the traces left laughing. by this splendid battle.
– MotoGP (@MotoGP)
Cal Crutchlow, winner last year in Australia, finished 5th after a solid race full of panache. The Briton is followed by Andrea Iannone’s Suzuki, which scores its best dry result in the dry following its 4th place in the rain in Japan..
Jack Miller, back from injury, took a splendid 7th place at home ahead of rookie Alex Rins’ GSX-RR. Another major performance: the double in the Top 10 of Pol Espargaro and Bradley Smith on the KTM RC16. This bodes well for the Orange brand on such a demanding circuit.
Dovizioso sees Red in Australia
The teammates stand out in front of Scott Redding and … Dani Pedrosa, author of an anonymous 12th position on his official Honda one week after his retirement due to a tire problem in Japan. Bad pass for "Pedro", as his teammate trusts the outposts despite his incredible number of crashes during practice !
- Live –
Finally, a big disappointment for Ducati: if Dovizioso, 13th in Australia, retains his second place in the provisional, his delay on Marquez drops from 11 to 33 points. Hard, hard for "DesmoDovi", knowing that there are only 50 points left to distribute. Consolation will not come from his teammate, Jorge Lorenzo, transparent all weekend and 15th at the finish … behind the private Ducati of Karel Abraham.
2017 MotoGP Australian GP results and standings
- 93 Marc MARQUEZ SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 40’49.772
- 46 Valentino ROSSI ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha +1.799
- 25 Maverick VIÑALES SPA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha +1.826
- 5 Johann ZARCO FRA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha +1.842
- 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW GBR LCR Honda Honda +3.845
- 29 Andrea IANNONE ITA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki +3.871
- 43 Jack MILLER AUS EG 0,0 Marc VDS Honda +5.619
- 42 Alex RINS SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki +12.208
- 44 Pol ESPARGARO SPA Red Bull KTM Factory Racing KTM +16.251
- 38 Bradley SMITH GBR Red Bull KTM Factory Racing KTM +16.262
- 45 Scott REDDING GBR OCTO Pramac Racing Ducati +21.652
- 26 Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda +21.668
- 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Ducati Team Ducati +21.692
- 17 Karel ABRAHAM CZE Pull & Bear Aspar Team Ducati +26.110
- 99 Jorge LORENZO SPA Ducati Team Ducati +26.168
- 53 Tito RABAT SPA EG 0,0 Marc VDS Honda +26.252
- 19 Alvaro BAUTISTA SPA Pull & Bear Aspar Team Ducati +36.377
- 76 Loris BAZ FRA Reale Avintia Racing Ducati +39.654
- 22 Sam LOWES GBR Aprilia Racing Team Gresini Aprilia +40.400
- 8 Hector BARBERA SPA Reale Avintia Racing Ducati +45.901
- 9 Danilo PETRUCCI ITA OCTO Pramac Racing Ducati +48.768
- 23 Broc PARKES AUS Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha +57.711
- 41 Aleix ESPARGARO SPA Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 174.9 (20 laps)
Provisional classification of the MotoGP championship 2017
- Marc MARQUEZ Honda SPA (269 points)
- Andrea DOVIZIOSO Ducati ITA (236 points)
- Maverick VIÑALES Yamaha SPA (219 points)
- Valentino ROSSI Yamaha ITA (188 points)
- Dani PEDROSA Honda SPA (174 points)
- Johann ZARCO Yamaha FRA (138 points)
- Jorge LORENZO Ducati SPA (117 points)
- Danilo PETRUCCI Ducati ITA (111 points)
- Cal CRUTCHLOW Honda GBR (103 points)
- Jonas FOLGER Yamaha GER (84 points)
- Alvaro BAUTISTA Ducati SPA (70 points)
- Jack MILLER Honda AUS (65 points)
- Aleix ESPARGARO Aprilia SPA (62 points)
- Scott REDDING Ducati GBR (61 points)
- Andrea IANNONE Suzuki ITA (60 points)
- Pol ESPARGARO KTM SPA (49 points)
- Alex RINS Suzuki SPA (46 points)
- Loris BAZ Ducati FRA (45 points)
- Karel ABRAHAM Ducati CZE (30 points)
- Tito RABAT Honda SPA (29 points)
- Hector BARBERA Ducati SPA (25 points)
- Bradley SMITH KTM GBR (20 points)
- Michele PIRRO Ducati ITA (18 points)
- Mika KALLIO KTM FIN (11 points)
- Sam LOWES Aprilia GBR (5 points)
- Katsuyuki NAKASUGA Yamaha JPN (4 points)
- Sylvain GUINTOLI Suzuki FRA (1 point)
- Takuya TSUDA Suzuki JPN
- Hiroshi AOYAMA Honda JPN
- Broc PARKES Yamaha AUS
MOTOGP RACE – MISANO San Marino MotoGP 2017 GP report and standings Marc Marquez erases his big disappointment at Silverstone (engine failure) with a…
ALCANIZ – MOTOGP RACE 2017 MotoGP Aragon GP report and standings Marc Marquez poses a serious option for the 2017 title by signing at the GP of Aragon a…
#ARGENTINAGP 2018 – RACE Argentine MotoGP GP report and results (Crutchlow winner) A completely crazy race! The 2018 Argentine Grand Prix will be…
ARAGÓN – RACE MotoGP Aragon GP report and results (Marquez winner) Marc Marquez takes his sixth victory of the MotoGP 2018 season at the Grand Prix of…
MOTOGP SACHSENRING RACE 2017 MotoGP German GP report and results Marc Marquez takes the lead of the 2017 MotoGP championship at the Sachsenring thanks to…
RACE – VALENCIA 2018 MotoGP Valencia GP report and results (winner Dovizioso) Andrea Dovizioso has one last success in the MotoGP final on the Ricardo…
SEPANG – RACE 2018 MotoGP Malaysian GP report and results (Marquez winner) Marc Marquez won his 44th MotoGP victory at Sepang , bringing his total of…
RACE – LE MANS 2018 MotoGP French GP report and results (Marquez winner) Three out of three. Marc Marquez wins his third MotoGP race in a row at Le Mans…
MONTMELO – RACE Catalonia MotoGP 2018 GP report and results (Lorenzo winner) Jorge Lorenzo caused a sensation on the Montmelo circuit where the future…
MOTOGP CATALUNYA Catalonia MotoGP 2017 GP report and results It’s historic: Ducati records two consecutive victories in MotoGP for the first time since…