RACE – MUGELLO 2018
2018 MotoGP Italian GP report and results (Lorenzo winner)
Incredible Jorge Lorenzo! Mallorcan wins his first official Ducati race at Mugello, on his employer’s own land, during the 2018 MotoGP Italian Grand Prix.
Jorge Lorenzo gave a fantastic demonstration of his talent at Mugello to sign his first success with Ducati thanks to a race from start to finish! The Mallorcan – qualified 2nd behind Rossi – wins with more than six seconds ahead of Dovizioso, winner last year in Italy.
- MNC of June 1 :
- MNC of June 2, 2018:
- MNC special file :
Ironically, this victory – which occurs on the 24th attempt of n ° 99 – occurs on the very weekend when the divorce between Lorenzo and Ducati seems to be recorded! Should we see a form of revenge on the part of the proud Mallorcan, who did not appreciate certain statements by the big boss of the Rouge brand? ?
"We waited a long time, here it is!", Rejoices Casey Stoner, present at Mugello as a Ducati test rider. "This is how Jorge likes to win: by starting in front without looking back. Thanks to adjustments on the bike (ergonomics modified thanks to a new tank, editor’s note), he feels better and has managed to win while many of pilots were very fast ", admires the Australian pensioner.
Lorenzo nails the beak to his detractors
"A lot of people have said that my method was not the right one", notes Jorge Lorenzo with a broad smile on his lips, which expresses all his joy and pride. The Mallorcan becomes the sixth driver to win with the Desmosedici after Capirossi, Bayliss, Stoner, Iannone and Dovizioso !
Look at what it means to
It’s been a long time coming, but the first win is in the bag!
– MotoGP (@MotoGP)
"Winning here, with a Ducati, is an indescribable sensation. I felt good since Friday, confident on the bike which requires less energy. It’s a great moment", rejoices the n ° 99, who has planted its "Lorenzo-Land" flag in front of the Ducati grandstand.
Jorge Lorenzo, author of a remarkably regular race with lap times of 1’48 for 25 laps, also succeeded where his former teammate Valentino Rossi failed. There is no doubt that this aspect is also of enormous importance to Lorenzo. !
The boys go 1-2 in Mugello!
– MotoGP (@MotoGP)
The very probable "future former rider" Ducati precedes his team-mate Andrea Dovizioso: this is the fifth Ducati double since the brand’s entry into MotoGP in 2003! The two teammates are ahead of Valentino Rossi, who fought at the end of the race with Iannone and becomes the first driver to exceed 5,000 points in the premier class..
HOW MANY ?! has become the first rider to reach 5000 points in the premier class with 5005!
– MotoGP (@MotoGP)
"I’m happy", assures "DesmoDovi". "I couldn’t push harder: I made the wrong choice of front tire, like Valé (the two Italians chose hard rubber, when Lorenzo was in medium, Editor’s note). But I score 20 points and Ducati records a doubled in front of our audience: it’s a beautiful day! "
Andrea Iannone – who confirmed her divorce from Suzuki – finished ahead of his teammate Alex Rins, who had a good race that was both fast and consistent. The young Spaniard is ahead of Crutchlow and Petrucci, who lost ground in the end after climbing like an arrow to 3rd place.
Viñales 8th and Zarco 10th
As usual, Maverick Viñales woke up in the last part of the race: the Spaniard finished 10th while his pace on the last laps would have allowed him to claim the podium! The n ° 25 had a very good fight with Bautista, who was remembered to everyone’s fond memories with his Ducati Aspar.
Also disappointing for Johann Zarco, 10th 17.644 sec behind the winner on the Yamaha Tech3. The Cannes driver, uncomfortable and lacking in traction, expected to suffer on this circuit: events unfortunately do not contradict No. 5, who had fallen during the previous race at Le Mans …
“A very difficult race,” says Johann. "I thought we had managed to find that traction that we had been lacking since Friday, but in reality it was not. When the bike skates like that, I can’t do anything: I did everything I did. I could, but the bike was unstable. Now it’s up to the technicians to find the solution ".
Marc Marquez on the mat !
This 2018 Italian Grand Prix was also marked by a very large number of crashes: Pedrosa, Miller, Abraham, Redding and Lüthi had to retire after falling, while Nakagami got back on his Honda to finish 18th. Aleix Espargaro, he did not finish because of yet another breakage on his Aprilia …
Marquez falls out of 2nd at T10 – but he nearly saved it!
More drama in Mugello! | VIDEO
– MotoGP (@MotoGP)
Finally, the last driver to have fallen and not the least: Marc Marquez, who lost the front on the 5th lap without managing to catch him this time! The reigning champion courageously left on his Honda to fail at the point gate (16th behind Morbidelli). Admirable pugnacity of n ° 93 !
The championship leader therefore does not score any points, for the second time this season after the Argentine GP. Note that this is his first error in the race, but already his eighth this season (usually during free practice) !
The results of the championship
Despite his fault at Mugello, Marc Marquez remains in charge of the provisional classification with 95 points. The HRC official maintains a margin of 23 points ahead of… Valentino Rossi (72 pts), who climbs thanks to his podium from 4th to 2nd place overall !
The nine-time world champion grows politeness to two other Yamaha riders: Maverick Viñales who loses one position (3rd with 67 pts) and Johann Zarco (64 pts), who falls from third to fifth place behind Andrea Dovizioso (66 pts).
As for the winner Jorge Lorenzo, his victory at the 2018 Italian GP allows him to climb from 14th to 10th position, with 41 points. Conversely, his compatriot Dani Pedrosa is in free fall: the unfortunate Catalan only appears in 12th place, between Rins and Rabat…
Results and classification of the 2018 Italian GP
- 99 Jorge LORENZO SPA (Ducati Team) Ducati 41’43.230
- 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA (Ducati Team) Ducati +6.370
- 46 Valentino ROSSI ITA (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) Yamaha +6.629
- 29 Andrea IANNONE ITA (Team SUZUKI ECSTAR) Suzuki +7.885
- 42 Alex RINS SPA (Team SUZUKI ECSTAR) Suzuki +7.907
- 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW GBR (LCR Honda CASTROL) Honda +9.120
- 9 Danilo PETRUCCI ITA (Alma Pramac Racing) Ducati +10.898
- 25 Maverick VIÑALES SPA (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) Yamaha +11.060
- 19 Alvaro BAUTISTA SPA (Angel Nieto Team) Ducati +11.154
- 5 Johann ZARCO FRA (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) Yamaha +17.644
- 44 Pol ESPARGARO SPA (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) KTM +20.256
- 55 Hafizh SYAHRIN MAL (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) Yamaha +22.435
- 53 Tito RABAT SPA (Reale Avintia Racing) Ducati +22.464
- 38 Bradley SMITH GBR (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) KTM +22.495
- 21 Franco MORBIDELLI ITA (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) Honda +26.644
- 93 Marc MARQUEZ SPA (Repsol Honda Team) Honda +39.311
- 10 Xavier SIMEON BEL (Reale Avintia Racing) Ducati + 1’01.211
- 30 Takaaki NAKAGAMI JPN (LCR Honda IDEMITSU) Honda +5 laps
- 41 Aleix ESPARGARO SPA (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) Aprilia (4 laps)
- 43 Jack MILLER AUS (Alma Pramac Racing) Ducati (22 laps)
- 12 Thomas LUTHI SWI (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) Honda (22 laps)
Did not finish the 1st round
- 26 Dani PEDROSA SPA (Repsol Honda Team) Honda (0 lap)
- 17 Karel ABRAHAM CZE (Angel Nieto Team) Ducati (0 lap)
- 45 Scott REDDING GBR (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) Aprilia (0 lap)
Provisional MotoGP classification 2018 after the Italian GP
- Marc MARQUEZ (Honda) SPA (95 points)
- Valentino ROSSI (Yamaha) ITA (72 points)
- Maverick VIÑALES (Yamaha) SPA (67 points)
- Andrea DOVIZIOSO (Ducati) ITA (66 points)
- Johann ZARCO (Yamaha) FRA (64 points)
- Danilo PETRUCCI (Ducati) ITA (63 points)
- Andrea IANNONE (Suzuki) ITA (60 points)
- Cal CRUTCHLOW (Honda) GBR (56 points)
- Jack MILLER (Ducati) AUS (49 points)
- Jorge LORENZO (Ducati) SPA (41 points)
- Alex RINS (Suzuki) SPA (33 points)
- Dani PEDROSA (Honda) SPA (29 points)
- Tito RABAT (Ducati) SPA (27 points)
- Pol ESPARGARO (KTM) SPA (23 points)
- Alvaro BAUTISTA (Ducati) SPA (19 points)
- Hafizh SYAHRIN (Yamaha) MAL (17 points)
- Franco MORBIDELLI (Honda) ITA (17 points)
- Aleix ESPARGARO (Aprilia) SPA (13 points)
- Takaaki NAKAGAMI (Honda) JPN (10 points)
- Bradley SMITH (KTM) GBR (7 points)
- Mika KALLIO (KTM) FIN (6 points)
- Scott REDDING (Aprilia) GBR (5 points)
- Karel ABRAHAM (Ducati) CZE (1 point)
- Thomas LUTHI (Honda) SWI
- Xavier SIMEON (Ducati) BEL
#ARGENTINAGP 2019 – RACE 2019 MotoGP Argentinian GP report and results (Marquez winner) Double blow for Marc Marquez at the Argentinian GP 2019: the…
#SPANISHGP RACE 2019 MotoGP Spanish GP report and results (Marquez winner) Marc Marquez erases his bitter retirement from the previous race in Texas with…
#MALAYSIANGP – RACE 2019 MotoGP Malaysian GP report and results (Viñales winner) Maverick Viñales takes his second victory this season thanks to a…
#BRITISHGP RACE 2019 MotoGP British GP report and results (Rins winner) Below everything last year – canceled due to downpour, what the flute? -, the…
#AUSTRIANGP RACE 2019 MotoGP Austrian GP report and results (winner Dovizioso) Marc Marquez took off his Honda to put an end to the Ducati’s…
MOTOGP SACHSENRING RACE 2017 MotoGP German GP report and results Marc Marquez takes the lead of the 2017 MotoGP championship at the Sachsenring thanks to…
SACHSENRING – RACE Report and results of the 2018 German GP (Marquez winner) The proof by nine. Lap record in qualifying, fastest lap in the race and…
#QATARGP – RACE 2019 MotoGP Qatar Grand Prix report and results (winner Dovizioso) We take the same ones and start over: Andrea Dovizioso and Marc…
#AMERICASGP 2019 – RACE 2019 MotoGP Americas GP report and results (winner Rins) Alex Rins won his first MotoGP victory at 23 on the Circuit Of The…
#SANMARINOGP RACE 2019 MotoGP San Marino GP report and results (Marquez winner) Marc Marquez wins his 77th Grand Prix race – his 51st MotoGP – after…