RIO HONDO TERMAS – MOTOGP RACE
Summary of the Argentinian GP MotoGP: Yamaha pulls the chestnuts out of the fire !
Incredible Argentinian MotoGP Grand Prix 2017! After witnessing the successive falls of Lorenzo, Marquez, Rins, Pedrosa and Dovizioso (well helped by Aleix Espargaro), the public massed around the Termas circuit in Rio Hondo saw Viñales take his second victory in a row ahead of his teammate Rossi.
Maverick Viñales’ victory in Argentina is not, to be honest, a real surprise: the official Yamaha had clearly expressed his speed from the first free practice in the dry. The fact remains that when the weather was troubled on Saturday, the new Yamaha prodigy encountered more difficulties, complaining of a problem with traction with the rain tires … Sunday, the race took place under an overcast sky but in the dry, allowing n ° 25 to gallop at full speed.
- MNC Live – Argentinian MotoGP Grand Prix results
- MNC Live – Argentinian Moto2 Grand Prix results
- MNC Live – Argentinian Moto3 Grand Prix results
- MNC Live – Moto3, Moto2 and MotoGP Qualifiers
- MNC file : 2017 Argentine Grand Prix
However, the game was not easy for the winner of the first race in Qatar: Marc Marquez, who started very hard when the lights were out, maintained a sufficiently high pace to worry all his rivals. The Honda official, traditionally very strong in Argentina (victory in 2014 and 2016), even seemed able to clinch his first victory of the season … before losing the front !
"I can’t really explain my crash. I made a mistake, that’s for sure … It’s a shame, I’m really disappointed to have made this mistake because I drove well and felt strong", deplores Marquez back to his box. End of Marquez’s break, place for that of Viñales: recovering the lead of the race following the fall of his compatriot, the young teammate of Rossi has applied to maintain a strong pace !
Viñales joins Rainey…
Result: "Mack" crossed the finish line 2.915 seconds ahead of the Doctor, long in a fight with Cal Crutchlow for second place. Yamaha places its two official riders in the first row, which bodes well for the rest of the Blues season. As for Maverick Viñales, at only 22 years old he became the first rider since Wayne Rainey to win the first two races in the premier class on Yamaha. The exploit dates back to 1990: this is to say the full scope of the performance of n ° 25 !
Behind this podium appear the Ducati Alvaro Bautista – decidedly very consistent since his return to Aspar – and the Yamaha of Johann Zarco, fantastic fifth as he started from 14th position on the grid! His teammate Jonas Folger does not deserve it either, since he climbed from 11th to sixth place: tomorrow, Hervé Poncharal will have a lot of good things to celebrate in addition to his birthday !
Argentinian snub for Aprilia, Ducati, Honda and Suzuki
If Yamaha can rejoice in his double, his rivals will inevitably have a heavy heart leaving Termas de Rio Hondo: with the exception of the Yamaha and the KTM, no other factory bike has finished in the points! Honda saw his two riders take turns at fault – while Pedrosa struggled with panache in the Top 5 – while Ducati watched with amazement as Lorenzo fell in the first lap: the Mallorcan missed out on braking and hit Iannone‘s rear wheel…
His fall was followed by the abandonment of Sam Lowes’ Aprilia, then the collision caused by Noale’s second motorcycle – that of Aleix Espargaro – with the factory Ducati of Andrea Dovizioso … said "official" massacre ?!
Cruel irony of fate: last year already, "Dovi" was pushed into the Argentine gravel, at the time by his own teammate Andrea Iannone. The latter, in fact, was given a passage in slow motion through the pit lane for having stolen the start: he finished last (16th), far from his aspirations and those of Suzuki. Not to mention that the Italian does not score any points again, following his fall in Qatar. The height of bad luck for Suzuki: his second rider Alex Rins, back from injury in motocross, also made a mistake !
In the end, the private sector had a blast: Danilo Petrucci took 7th place (20 seconds, all the same) ahead of Scott Redding, Jack Miller, Karel Abraham (less dazzling than in practice) and Loris Baz, eleventh at 26.7 seconds. The official KTMs bring up the rear in front of Iannone at more than 40 seconds: the Austrian brand is still seriously behind, even for such a young project.
Funny results after two races
In the end, the positions in the provisional standings are quite surprising as the second round of the 2017 season ends: Viñales largely dominates thanks to his double, already 14 points ahead of his teammate Rossi. Behind, it’s the break: Dovizioso, third, is 30 lengths behind the leader ahead of the unexpected Scott Redding (17 points) and Cal Crutchlow (16).
Rookie Jonas Folger takes all the statisticians by surprise by occupying the sixth position tied with the Honda-LCR rider who precedes him, and one unit ahead of Jack Miller. Only eighth, Marc Marquez has only 13 points on the clock because of his fall: the defending champion, tied with Bautista, returns no less than 37 points to Viñales! Which means that in just two races the Yamaha official took almost a race and a half ahead of the outgoing champion….
Dani Pedrosa, meanwhile, is competing for tenth place against Johann Zarco, relatively far in the standings due to his crash in the inaugural race in Qatar. Loris Baz appears in 14th place … four positions ahead of Jorge Lorenzo’s factory Ducati! It’s hard to imagine a worse start to the season for the Mallorcan rider, who sees as a bonus his old motorbike taking first place with Viñales…
MotoGP Argentinian Grand Prix results and rankings
- 25 Maverick VIÑALES SPA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 41’45.060
- 46 Valentino ROSSI ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha +2.915
- 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW GBR LCR Honda Honda +3.754
- 19 Alvaro BAUTISTA SPA Pull & Bear Aspar Team Ducati +6.523
- 5 Johann ZARCO FRA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha +15.504
- 94 Jonas FOLGER GER Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha +18.241
- 9 Danilo PETRUCCI ITA OCTO Pramac Racing Ducati +20.046
- 45 Scott REDDING GBR OCTO Pramac Racing Ducati +25.480
- 43 Jack MILLER AUS EG 0,0 Marc VDS Honda +25.665
- 17 Karel ABRAHAM CZE Pull & Bear Aspar Team Ducati +26.403
- 76 Loris BAZ FRA Reale Avintia Racing Ducati +26.952
- 53 Tito RABAT SPA EG 0,0 Marc VDS Honda +41.875
- 8 Hector BARBERA SPA Reale Avintia Racing Ducati +42.770
- 44 Pol ESPARGARO SPA Red Bull KTM Factory Racing KTM +43.085
- 38 Bradley SMITH GBR Red Bull KTM Factory Racing KTM +43.452
- 29 Andrea IANNONE ITA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki +46.219
- 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Ducati Team Ducati 11 laps
- 41 Aleix ESPARGARO SPA Aprilia Racing Team Gresini Aprilia 11 laps
- 26 Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 12 laps
- 22 Sam LOWES GBR Aprilia Racing Team Gresini Aprilia 14 laps
- 42 Alex RINS SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki 14 laps
- 93 Marc MARQUEZ SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 22 laps
- 99 Jorge LORENZO SPA Ducati Team Ducati 0 laps
Provisional MotoGP classification 2017
- Maverick VIÑALES Yamaha SPA (50 points)
- Valentino ROSSI Yamaha ITA (36 points)
- Andrea DOVIZIOSO Ducati ITA (20 points)
- Scott REDDING Ducati GBR (17 points)
- Cal CRUTCHLOW Honda GBR (16 points)
- Jonas FOLGER Yamaha GER (16 points)
- Jack MILLER Honda AUS (15 points)
- Marc MARQUEZ Honda SPA (13 points)
- Alvaro BAUTISTA Ducati SPA (13 points)
- Dani PEDROSA Honda SPA (11 points)
- Johann ZARCO Yamaha FRA (11 points)
- Aleix ESPARGARO Aprilia SPA (10 points)
- Danilo PETRUCCI Ducati ITA (9 points)
- Loris BAZ Ducati FRA (9 points)
- Karel ABRAHAM Ducati CZE (8 points)
- Alex RINS Suzuki SPA (7 points)
- Hector BARBERA Ducati SPA (6 points)
- Jorge LORENZO Ducati SPA (5 points)
- Tito RABAT Honda SPA (5 points)
- Pol ESPARGARO KTM SPA (2 points)
- Bradley SMITH KTM GBR (1 point)
- Andrea IANNONE Suzuki ITA
- Sam LOWES Aprilia GBR
Alexandre BARDIN – Photos DR
MOTOGP LOSAIL 2017 – RACE MotoGP Grand Prix of Qatar: Viñales succeeds in his first meeting with Yamaha Maverick Viñales becomes the tenth youngest rider…
#ARGENTINAGP 2018 – RACE Argentine MotoGP GP report and results (Crutchlow winner) A completely crazy race! The 2018 Argentine Grand Prix will be…
ALCANIZ – MOTOGP RACE 2017 MotoGP Aragon GP report and standings Marc Marquez poses a serious option for the 2017 title by signing at the GP of Aragon a…
MOTOGP – SEPANG RACE 2017 MotoGP Malaysian GP report and standings Andrea Dovizioso did not crack under the pressure of the title at the Malaysian GP…
MOTOGP SACHSENRING RACE 2017 MotoGP German GP report and results Marc Marquez takes the lead of the 2017 MotoGP championship at the Sachsenring thanks to…
MOTOGP RACE – MISANO San Marino MotoGP 2017 GP report and standings Marc Marquez erases his big disappointment at Silverstone (engine failure) with a…
RACE – LE MANS 2018 MotoGP French GP report and results (Marquez winner) Three out of three. Marc Marquez wins his third MotoGP race in a row at Le Mans…
MONTMELO – RACE Catalonia MotoGP 2018 GP report and results (Lorenzo winner) Jorge Lorenzo caused a sensation on the Montmelo circuit where the future…
MOTOGP CATALUNYA Catalonia MotoGP 2017 GP report and results It’s historic: Ducati records two consecutive victories in MotoGP for the first time since…
RACE – MUGELLO 2018 2018 MotoGP Italian GP report and results ( Lorenzo winner) Incredible Jorge Lorenzo! Mallorcan wins his first official Ducati race…