The Yamaha 900 Tracer has a little sister. Congratulations! And what a sister. The MT-07 takes the same recipe as the MT-09 and is transformed into a cross-over which already promises to be a very tempting machine. The new Tracer 700 claims the philosophy "Kando", a feeling of deep satisfaction and intense emotion that one feels when one experiences something exceptional.
Where are the differences, where are the similarities? It deserves that we take a little time to scan each side of the border. Let’s start with the progenitor, who is none other than one of Yamaha’s biggest roadster successes. From a light, mischievous, and fun roadster, the MT-07 Tracer becomes serious, elegant, rebellious. The grafting of an imposing fork head changes its entire physiognomy. And with what success! We feel that the designers of Yam have worked well on the question. Less cut in the angles than that of the 900 Tracer, more flexible in its forms, caressed under the eyes, it achieves the little bit of magic of immediately becoming akin to the big brother while having its own identity. We are far from the GSX-R 600, 750 and 1000 of the beginning of the century, true generations of each other. The headlight set replicates that of the 900, with a pencil feel that is not unlike the front of the TDM 900. Connoisseurs will appreciate.
Everything would be just this top of the fairing? No, the builder applied. And installed a small nest well arranged to accommodate the dashboard taken from the roadster. A plush feeling emerges which naturally leads us to look for little extras. They are not far: Who says road says protection, and this will be the role of the adjustable bubble in several positions; with a mechanism it seems more accessible than on the 900 Tracer. Indispensable today, 12V sockets can be installed in locations provided on the sides of the fairing. We will not be entitled to this type of power supply in series … At a time when all travel begins with the start of the GPS. Petty.
A strong winner in identity, the 700 Tracer is not content with a fitted outing costume. She thinks in the distance. This is evidenced by the new tank whose capacity rises to 17 liters (+ 3 liters) and the two-seater two-level saddle replacing the sportier double seat of the MT-07. One wonders about the fins placed in front of the handles. According to the manufacturer, here is something to improve comfort. Yeah … … These tips of hand protectors will not be very effective but definitely add style. We cannot ask them for excellence, especially since they seem half the size of those of the 900 Tracer, already moderately convincing. Let’s quickly move on to the integrated indicators; with a more or less hasty incorporation. We will be more satisfied by the transplant of beautiful (and good) passenger handles, all ending with a taillight stung to the MT-09.
And from the 900 Tracer, what has it recovered besides the playful and invigorating road philosophy? Well, that’s it. Apart from the taillight and the good ideas, the 700 Tracer did not steal any part from the 900. However, there were two or three little things that we would have liked to see, like the dashboard style 1200 Ténéré (it goes really very good on this type of crossover machine), the support plates for the suitcases (City or Touring), the center stand or the height-adjustable saddle – a delicate point because the seat altitude has climbed from 805 to 845 mm. Something to make small sizes hesitate.
These differences will be more or less important. But the 900 Tracer has to justify a few delicacies in addition to the generosity of its engine..
The engine precisely. On the technical side, the 700 Tracer is extremely close to the MT-07. Logical since it is built on it. The pilot will therefore be able to have fun with the parallel twin-cylinder crossplane type which is agitated below. 689 cm3 of displacement, a setting at 270 °, 75 horsepower available at 9000 rpm, a good little torque of 6.9 mkg at 6500 rpm…. and a playful temperament to delight anyone who rides on it. The CP2 block is more than nice. It is overflowing with enthusiasm and alone justifies the success of the MT-07. On the 700 Tracer, he will be less fervent because the bike has become heavier. The fork crown, equipment and a few trinkets came in with 14 kilos of load. Do not panic ; at 196 kilos, this machine remains more than reasonable on the scale. A Versys or a V-Smurf suffer from about twenty additional units.
One sad detail. Did the radiator need to be so unobtrusive? Conversely, the executive makes a maximum of effort to hide. Black painted junction plates, steel tubes hidden under the casing; the structure wants to fulfill its function without being ostentatious. It is at its level that we note one of the differences from the MT-07: the swingarm has been lengthened to increase the wheelbase by 50 mm, for the benefit of stability. Combined with the increased weight, this new geometry will somewhat calm the machine, which better suits its more versatile and curious vocation..
In the same vein, the suspension settings have been revised. We will be delighted: Yamaha had done the same on the 900 Tracer, which therefore offered better rigor in handling (even if there is still progress to be made). The 700 Tracer should be almost as fun to ride, with that little extra seriousness that many will praise between smiles..
Engine, frame, fork, shock absorber…. and brakes are renewed in their prerogatives. It is not the additional mass that will change much to the excellent braking entrusted to 282 mm discs crunched by 4 piston calipers. The rear is satisfied with a 245 mm with single piston caliper. ABS is installed as standard.
We will quickly get caught up in the game of this 700 Tracer. A touch of joy here, a desire to travel there, and the desire will not waste time to manifest itself between daily fun and serious mileage on weekends. Yamaha has foreseen the blow by preparing a list of accessories suitable to make the little Tracer a traveler (20-liter soft suitcases, 39-liter top-case, high screen….).
Inheriting the qualities of the MT-07 and the crossover concept of the 900 Tracer, the 700 of the same name is offered at a price right between the MT-07 and the big Tracer. A strong price against a 650 Versys in direct competitor. The Kawa is already on the market and uses very similar strengths. A beautiful battle is brewing, where the road has not finished crossing effervescent machines.
The Yamaha 700 Tracer in brief:
– New Roadster 700, versatile, sporty and exciting
– Gateway to the Road segment
– Exhilarating sports performance and optimal handling
– Adjustable screen and large capacity tank for long journeys
– 689cc twin-cylinder crossplane engine³ high torque
– Improved chassis for more stability and comfort
– Extended swingarm and modified suspension settings
– Optimized ergonomics for rider and passenger
The strong points :
– 689cc twin overhead cam, 4-valve, twin-cylinder engine
– Typed motor character "crossplane" for a high and powerful homogeneous torque
– 55.0 kW (74.8 hp) at 9,000 rpm
– 68.0 Nm (6.9 m.kgf) at 6500 rpm
– Tubular frame, aluminum swingarm
– Fully loaded weight of 196 kg
– 17-liter tank for a long range (estimate: more than 300 km)
– Manually adjustable screen with optional high screen
– Integrated wind deflector, hand guard
– Dual optics and LED position lights
– Two-seater two-level saddle with grab bar
– Dual 282mm front disc with four-piston calipers and ABS
– Front and rear suspensions revised
**** Recall campaign *****
On July 31, 2018, Yamaha launched a recall campaign for its MT07s as well as its road variants ‘ Tracer 700 ’and neo-retro ‘ XSR700 ’.
The screws securing the transmission chain case to the swingarm could become loose and fall out due to vibrations while driving the vehicle. Additionally, there was a possibility that once the setscrews fell off, the chain case would break when hitting the drive chain. In extreme cases, the broken part of the chain case could fall on the road and obstruct traffic. To remedy this, Yamaha has initiated a recall campaign consisting of replacing the spacers and the chain case mounting screws..
For the French market, a total of 8,871 machines have been recalled.
1. Machines concerned:
• MT07 model 2018 (B4C1) whose serial numbers are between RM172 0000301 and RM172 0010132.
• MT07 model 2018 (B8M1) whose serial numbers are between RM182 0000301 and RM182 0006129.
• Tracer 700 model 2016 (BC61) whose serial numbers are between RM141 0000101 and RM141 0015335.
• Tracer 700 model 2016 (BC62) whose serial numbers are between RM151 0000101 and RM151 0002418.
• Tracer 700 model 2017 (B7K1) with serial numbers between RM141 0011201 and RM141 0014971.
• Tracer 700 model 2018 (BC64) with serial numbers between RM141 0025104 and RM141 0025544.
• Tracer 700 model 2018 (BC65) with serial numbers between RM151 0005101 and RM151 0005380.
• Tracer 700 model 2018 (B1K1) with serial numbers between RM152 0000101 and RM152 0000180.
• XSR700 model 2016 (B341) whose serial numbers are between RM111 0000101 and RM111 0007451.
• XSR700 model 2016 (B342) whose serial numbers are between RM121 0000101 and RM111 0000908.
• XSR700 model 2016 (B344) whose serial numbers are between RM111 0001662 and RM111 0007114.
• XSR700 model 2016 (B345) whose serial numbers are between RM121 0000182 and RM121 0000868.
• XSR700 model 2017 (B347) with serial numbers between RM111 0008102 and RM111 0011135.
• XSR700 model 2017 (B348) with serial numbers between RM121 0002101 and RM121 0002700.
• XSR700 model 2018 (B34A) with serial numbers between RM111 0018101 and RM111 0020254.
• XSR700 model 2018 (B34B) with serial numbers between RM121 0003101 and RM121 0003701.
M.B – builder media
What you must remember
Calculate the cost of
Test the price of the motorcycle insurance specialist
sure 15 notice
MT-07 700 TRACER 2016
Model marketed in
about 190 km / h
The technical aspect
Yamaha 700 TRACER 2017
- Tank: 17 liters
- Width: 806 mm
- Height: 1270 mm
- Wheelbase: 1,450 mm
- Weight in running order: 196 kg
- Train before
- secondary by chain
- Rear axle
(80 x 68.6 mm)
at 9000 rpm
at 6500 rpm